Sunday, December 21, 2014


"We don't read & write poetry because it's cute. We read & write poetry because we are members of the human race   And the human race is filled with passion."

                                                                                                
Credits to the owner.

So, I lapsed. For over seven months, I found myself oscillating between sharing and secrecy. What's a blog entry supposed to be? "My thoughts", was the first answer that came to my head. Naturally, the internet seemed to disagree, and while going through a lot of other blogs, I wondered if I was good enough.

After a long list of private diary entries, poems, rants and mental dystopia (as I'd like to call it), I realized the real question is "Good enough for what, good enough for whom?"

So, here's a poem I wrote on September 28th, to Neil Perry,one of the lead characters in the movie "Dead Poets Society".

To those who haven't had the chance to watch the movie, please do. It might just change your world.

 To Neil,

It wasn't as though the world was against you,
It wasn't that the chains were choking you,
You were breath-taking on the dais,
It made you look like the mightiest person.

Your ideas surround me,
As each day passes.
The very plethora
Of your being.

In the end,
Here is a note.
That someday
I hope will reach you.

For you are beautiful 
As you are.
For you are perfect
As you are.

Perhaps the past tense 
is best suited here.
And queer as it seems,
the lines in this poem don't
 
even follow a scheme.

Each syllable fails to make sense.
"What is a poem, then?"
The critics will argue.
"This is a jibe to great poets"
They will say.

But what is poetry, Neil?
if it is not a reflection of me?

What will this poem mean,
if I do not make it out to you?

We count the words each day.
We judge by voice, diction and what not.
We fail to follow our dreams,
simply because we conform.


You didn't conform, Neil.
And you came at a time where I
 
I, might have buckled in.
Todd isn't doing so well,
Neither were Charlie or Knox.

 Where there were a hundred,
 I saw you.
 I can speak to you.

And where you are now,
You can truly be you. 



Thank you all once again, for visiting my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment